Friday, August 26, 2011

RPL Testing

I went to see Dr. Mo on Tuesday.  I went into the appointment feeling very certain about what I wanted to do and about what I wanted tested.  Of course, nothing went as planned.  He pretty much talked me out of everything I thought I wanted.  Specifically, the immune testing.  I wanted to have a whole schmorgesborg of testing done.  There are a whole lotta tests that can be done once you delve into the world of immune issues.  I had a sheet printed out of all the tests I wanted done.  The problem is, he, like most RE's, doesn't believe immune issues/infertility correlation.  He said he would run whatever tests I wanted (he told me I should know by now he will do whatever I want), but that too much information can sometime me a bad thing. 

Most likely, he said, something on those tests would come up abnormal (since I wanted about 25 things tested), and that that would just leave us more confused since there is really no proven treatment for things like natural killer cells, cytokines, etc.  Then, I told him I would be willing to try IVIG (transfusion of a blood product)  on the off chance that it would work, and he talked me out of that, too.  He said it's never been proven that it works for infertility.  Well, I have found studies that say it does work and it doesn't work.  He did say that he has used IVIG for secondary infertility before.  I don't get that, but whatever. 

After all was said and done, he gave me a lab slip and wanted to test me for the standard clotting disorders and chromosomes.  He will test Fields's chromosomes, too.  I went the next day to get the blood work done, where they drew 10 vials of blood.  Hopefully, it tells us something. Oh, and my HCG level was 16.9 on Wednesday.  I have to go back next week for one more draw. 

On a different note, I got the information and application from the adoption agency in the mail.  And as much as I felt like God was opening my heart to adoption, I think he just closed that door.  I don't know anymore.  It seems so overwhelming.  There is so much to do.  So much paperwork, interviews, home studies, classes, tests, etc.  And the money.  Wow.  I could do like 3 more fresh IVF's for what it would cost to adopt.  And I knew that already, but to see it on paper just really freaked me out. 

I went to my second Resolve support group meeting last night.  There were 7 women there plus the leader who has "overcome" infertility and has twins through gestational surrogacy.  She said they paid 6 figures for their kids.  Everyone else in the group seemed to have different issues going on and were at different stages of the journey, I was the only one in the group that had ever been pregnant.  My other online "support group" has been amazing throughout this last loss.  I actually met one of the girls in person last weekend and she brought me the sweetest gift from all the girls.  As devastating as infertility is, it's nice to have some people to go through it with. 

I'm also considering taking our names off of my blog, and making it public.  It's technically public now, but I have it set so people can't search for it and it won't show up in Google.  The only people that know about my blog are people I have given the address to.  We shall see...





1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you're feeling overwhelmed. Good luck with the testing! I went to 2 REs. The first totally believed natural killer cells could be the problem and talked us into paying for that one out of pocket. It came back negative. The 2nd RE doesn't believe in the natural killer cells, and thought it was a waste of money. Hopefully you'll find something easily fixable in the tests that you are doing!

    The blog thing-google "stirrup queens" if you haven't been to that site. She is the queen bee of IF/MC blogs and has a huge list. You can have yours added to the list and read lots of others who have gone through similar experiences. Then she has monthly things where people can comment on each others' blogs. I've met a lot of bloggers through her and I think you might like it!

    ReplyDelete