The results are in. The only thing that came back positive out of the 10 or so things we tested was one copy of MTHFR A1298C. This apparently is the best type to have out of all of the MTHFR mutations. I only have one copy, meaning I am heterozygous. It is somewhat controversial whether this can cause miscarriages or not. This gene mutation was not even discovered until pretty recently. In fact, Dr. Mo doesn't think this is what caused my losses. However, I don't totally agree. I have found numerous women who have had multiple miscarriage and were then diagnosed and treated for this and went on to have healthy babies. MTHFR is a clotting disorder but it also does not allow a person to absorb folic acid and B vitamins completely.
This makes perfect sense to me. Right after my first loss when we first started trying to conceive, my OBGYN noticed on my blood work that my MCH and MCV were high, meaning my red blood cells were enlarged. What causes red blood cells to be enlarged? B vitamin deficiency. Unfortunately, nobody tested me for anything further at that time and it was forgotten. So now I'm diagnosed with MTHFR, which causes me to not be able to absorb B vitamins fully. It's all coming together now!
Everything else came back normal, including my karyotype. We don't have Fields's karytope results back yet. I'm also going back tomorrow to get my thyroid, prolactin, and homocysteine levels checked just to make sure we have all of our bases covered.
I'm glad to have some sort of answer, even though it means there's a good chance that my body killed two perfectly healthy babies. Starting today I will be taking prescription folic acid/B vitamins totaling 4.4mg + my prenatal vitamin. This is about 5 times what the normal pregnant woman takes, so hopefully this will help. I will also be taking 40mg Lovenox and baby aspririn, which are both blood thinners, with this upcoming IVF cycle. It does worry me that I was already taking baby aspirin and 30mg Lovenox with this last pregnancy and I still miscarried.
As far as the results of my D&C testing, that came back as normal female. This means that either the baby was a normal healthy female or that it was actually my cells that got tested. Unfortunately, we will never know. I guess when the results come back as normal XX, they call it inconclusive.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment